Friday, September 14, 2007

Making a Mark

Back in 1976 I took Art A level. I got an A. The examination consisted of a written paper on Architecture and three practicals in Life drawing, plant drawing, and a still life. Due to the fact that a practical examination lasting three hours would not give the examinee time to finish his work to an acceptable level it was figured that he would complete a small section to illustrate how it would have been done had he had more time.

It is now 2007 and I am 49 and I still have not finished one single drawing or painting I am happy with. Correction - if I am unhappy with it I throw it away long before it could ever be finished.

Why ? I admit I am a perfectionist. I admit I have a lazy streak. I admit my mind would rarely stay still long enough to finish a drawing. To finish any art. I admit to a flexible outlook that allows me to lower my expectations. I admit that I collect all the materials but then have no idea what subject to draw. I know what I don't want to draw. Is this a start. On one project at A level I remember I decided to create a pointillist poster of Laurence Olivier as Othello holding the incriminating handkerchief in front of Desdemona (Maggie Smith). It was A1 size. As time progressed I realised it was so slow A1 was Optimistic to say the least. It is now in a frame at home (unfinished) A5 with only Othello's face drawn. The idea was fine but the implementation was slow and basically, lost.

However I feel like I want to be creative; to draw, paint, carve, sculpt, design.
To be Continued.

No comments: